Friday, April 18, 2008

Guessing Secrets



"Dad, I have something I want to talk to you about."

It took me a good 7 years to say this.

"Ok, Mel. Name the place."

We met at a Coffee Bean in the valley. Sherman Oaks, maybe. I think there was a Mel's Diner next to it.
He ordered a passion fruit soy tea latte.

I fidgeted. And smiled. "I don't know how to start."

"Ok, well why don't you start by telling Dad why you're anxious."---Sarah had come, too.

Dad put his hand on mine. "Listen, Mel. I already know. And it's Ok. I've known for a while. But I think it's important you say it. We can talk about how you feel."

"Really, Dad? Wow. Like, I mean I hid it so well. Um, like, nooooooobody knew. Oh my gosh, ok. Well, that makes this a little easier, I guess."

"Go ahead, Melbee."

We spent the next hour and a half talking about how i developed body image issues and started throwing up my food in high school. The table we were sitting at was so small and i kept peeling off the varnish as I told my Dad and sister the thing I swore i would never tell anyone. Ever. Deep breaths. Being vulnerable is a rush.

Our's were the only cars left in the parking lot.

"Thanks, Dad.......... Hey, how did you know?"

"Oh.......... Ya, I thought you were gonna tell me you were gay."

No comments: